x
195 Physicians Online

Question:

Loss of voice due to sickness

Hello. i am going on 4 days with no voice.. I was pretty sick last week with either a bad cold or a parainfluenza but no longer feel sick... should i pay the money to see a doctor or are they just going to tell me to wait it out and drink tea..?? I dont mind going if there is a useful antibtoic tehy can prescribe?? thank you.

Answer:

Your symptoms suggest that you have a viral laryngitis. This is simply an infection of the voice box which often times causes hoarsness or complete loss of the voice. As with most viral iilnesses, this should resolv e on its own without the need for any medications. It usually resolves within a week. If it does not resolve within this time then you will need to see your physician.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.