Loud popping on side of knee.

Patient

Q: Hello.

I'm new to this site and new at doing this in general (online anyway), but i'll give it a shot because opinions do matter to me..

Anyway I have been having rather loud popping in my right knee for a few years now, it never felt like anything serious and figured maybe just needed a good pop once in a while, no pain no discomfort, and this was even after a surgery I had on that knee to remove a nasty bone spur on the side.. The loud pop would only happen if my foot was planted firmly and my knee would go kinda sideways towards my other knee, I don't have this popping problem on my left knee.

However over time the popping started to get a bit louder recently, and some mild pain, the pop could get loud to the point where I would be on the phone and the person on the other line could hear it, and it was also unintentional, my knee would pop on its own sometimes if I so much as stretched it, however it was manageable and I figured it would just pass eventually..

Now for the past few weeks, if my foot is planted and my knee goes sideways towards my other knee and that loud pop happens, its followed by a decent amount of pain, to the point where it could stop me in my tracks, and followed by some slight weakness in the knee, then it kinda fades off, however yesterday (March 8th) I had that same pop again from the knee going sideways a little and it was actually kinda painful that time, and it stuck with me through out the entire day.

Also no swelling, basically I'm here just wondering is my knee being damaged over time? I don't think I tore an ACL or anything, I always looked at it as something that just pops, kind of like your knuckles, but this is a pretty loud pop..

I understand we all snap crackle and pop in many areas of the human body, however this one gets a little painful now, any kind of links or general info would be appreciated before I see my doc next week, and possibly some home remedy's maybe?

Again, the loud pop only happens when my foot is planted firmly and my knee goes to the side a little bit, no bending, and only happens when I'm standing.

Doctor