Low Back pain after a soccer game

Patient

Q: I am a 39 yrs Male.i developed a lower left back pain after playing a game of soccer. I fell lumps at the left of my spine.It has now gone a month and the pain slowly developed more .It runs down my left side leg. I have been to the 3 GPs and feel well for a day or two before the pain returns. I have gone to Physio who refered me to neuro-surgeon who has suggested a MRI scan. I have been taking 2 capsules per day of Celebrex 200 for the last 3 days and am feeling the pain subsiding BUT still there>I can now awake un-aided from the bed but the under of my left foot seems like it is retaining liquid, i feel it when i walk.Is this normal in the healing process? How long does one allow for healing time?

Doctor

A:   Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Sometimes it may complicate with a persistent muscle contracture and/or a sciatic nerve inflammation and the healing process takes a little longer.
The suggested conservative treatment would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: control the pain and the inflammatory process, relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. The main goal of physical therapy in persons with post-traumatic acute back pain is not to increase strength but to achieve adequate pain control. Acetaminophen (“Tylenol”) remains one of the best first-line treatments of acute LBP. It is generally well tolerated, has few adverse effects or drug reactions with other medications, and is inexpensive. You can also try anti inflammatory drugs (“Aleve”) or the one that you are actually taking “Celebrex”. Also, try avoiding all the activities that produce pain or discomfort, such as weight lifting. Keep a good posture at all times and sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort. Some doctors recommend lying on your back with a pillow under your knees. The back pain will improve within several days. Do not be discouraged if you don't get a fast improvement. Almost everyone gets better within a month of onset of the pain if it is an uncomplicated mechanical lower back pain