Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Low back pain after horse playing

Low back pain after horse playing

Patient: About 6 days ago (tuesday) I was horse playing with sum friends and I was accidentally kicked in my lower left side of my back above my hips. When I first got kicked I felt like I had to vomit so I ran to the toilet and got down on my knees and when I did this the feeling of having to puke stopped but when I tried to get up it felt as if my back was pushing and pulling against eachother while tightening up I couldn’t move so I stayed there for about twenty minutes I couldn’t walk with out feeling the sensation of my back tightening up. It hurts to sit down and stand up, bend over and even picking up my 19pound 8month old is difficult, I am able to walk but I still feel that pain in my back. When I crouch down to play with my 8month old baby I get a burning stinging sensation I guess I could describe it as the pain I felt receiving my epidural but it’s in a different area. Bending over standing up sitting down etc results in my back feeling as if it’s tightening up so tight that I have to stand still until it goes away usually it’s 2-5mins. The pain also comes randomly. What’s wrong with my back?

Doctor: Most likely after the trauma that you described in your back, you are experiencing a Mechanical low back pain (LBP), wh hich is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Sometimes it may complicate with a sciatic nerve inflammation, in that case it will take longer to get better. The suggested strategy would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: if you are overweight, then keep your weight under control, because the overweight suppose additional stress to the lumbar spine, control the pain and the local inflammatory process, relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve and muscle tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. You can keep taking anti-inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) and you can follow these general recommendations: sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort, lying on your back with a pillow under your knees. If the pain persists for more than 2 months, it is strongly recommended that you get an evaluation by a physician.