Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Low back pain radiating down left leg – Sciatica

Low back pain radiating down left leg – Sciatica

Patient: I was diagnosed with sciatica, went to physical therapy and was given anti inflammatory medication. My doctor sent me for an mri weeks later, because I still have tingling in the left leg and at times it still cramps and I have muscle spasms in it. I also have low back pain still and will get shooting pains when bending and lifting. The mri showed everything looked ok, however I’m still having problems with it. Could it be something else? I had tingling and burning sensation for 2 years on my lower left side of my back, at times it would get pretty bad, however I ignored it until this episode that sent me to the doctor.

Doctor: Sciatica occurs when there is compression or damage of the sciatic nerve. This nerve starts in the spine and runs down t he back of each leg. Your symptoms are related to sciatica and they may persist for a while until slowly the recovery occurs. You may try the following to reduce pain: while sleeping, try lying in a curled-up, fetal position with a pillow between your legs. If you usually sleep on your back, place a pillow or rolled towel under your knees to relieve pressure. Avoid prolonged sitting or lying with pressure on the buttocks. If you have ongoing problems with pain, you may want to see a neurologist or a pain specialist to ensure that you have access to the widest range of treatment options.Sciatica occurs when there is compression or damage of the sciatic nerve. This nerve starts in the spine and runs down the back of each leg. Your symptoms are related to sciatica and they may persist for a while until slowly the recovery occurs. You may try the following to reduce pain: while sleeping, try lying in a curled-up, fetal position with a pillow between your legs. If you usually sleep on your back, place a pillow or rolled towel under your knees to relieve pressure. Avoid prolonged sitting or lying with pressure on the buttocks. If you have ongoing problems with pain, you may want to see a neurologist or a pain specialist to ensure that you have access to the widest range of treatment options.

Guest: Can a person fully recover from Sciatica? I have pain down both of my legs but only at night. This is a new development. I have had sciatic pain on and off for years but I moved a heavy rug and seem to have taken this to a new place. XRay revealed no info. I get shooting pains down both legs at night and general diffuse pain in the lower back thru out the day. I have a desk job.