Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Low Back Pain when Moving Head

Low Back Pain when Moving Head

Patient: I have had lower right side back pain for a few months now. The dr recently ordered x rays and concluded that i have scoliosis and “disorder of sacrum” I am awaiting a date for an mri to investigate further as she says it is a horizontal sacrum. I have no idea what any of this means and should be finding more out later on today. Meanwhile when I turn my head today i get a stabbing pain in the same are my back pain always is. Any ideas as to what this could be? Im a 28yr old female, with no horrible accident, this is all sudden and im confused. Thanks

Doctor: Scoliosis is a sideways curving of the spine. The causes of scoliosis are :1) Congenital (present at birth)2) Any ne romuscular problems like muscular dystrophy, spina bifida and3) Idiopathic where the cause is not known (this is the most common).The symptoms you may have due to scoliosis are fatigue, backache or low back pain, the spine tends to curve to the side.The pain that you are having is most probably a referred pain because of the scoliosis. Application of an anti-inflammatory ointment and tylenol may help.Scoliosis is a sideways curving of the spine. The causes of scoliosis are :1) Congenital (present at birth)2) Any neromuscular problems like muscular dystrophy, spina bifida and3) Idiopathic where the cause is not known (this is the most common).The symptoms you may have due to scoliosis are fatigue, backache or low back pain, the spine tends to curve to the side.The pain that you are having is most probably a referred pain because of the scoliosis. Application of an anti-inflammtory ointment and tylenol may help.