Low blood pressure due to a postural drop

Q: What can be done for low blood pressure? Can low blood pressure and a poor imune system be related? Does low blood pressure cause the immune system to malfunction or vise versa?

A:   Low blood pressure is generally a benign condition, unless you are having symptoms of lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting or frequent falls. Most low blood pressure is due to a postural drop i.e. when you stand up suddenly your BP falls and you experience symptoms. It can also be caused by dehydration, drugs, anaemia, heart failure or severe infection. Awareness that you have low blood pressure is important in its management, for example on rising in the morning it may be beneficial to sit at the edge of the bed momentarily prior to rising. I notice that you are taking Lisinopril, this medication will lower your blood pressure even further. If low blood pressure is problematic I would advise lowering the current dose you are taking or the prescription of an alternative drug by your family doctor.