Low Carbs Diet for Fatty Liver Disease

Patient

Q: I have just been diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease. I was told to go on a Low Carb, High Fiber diet. How many grams of Carbs should I have a day? Thank you.

Doctor

A:   Studies have found that a low carb diet (under 20 grams a day) produced significant reduction in liver fat. Though this study was done for a small group and may need further confirmation, it appears that a very-low-carb diet may be one of the best dietary approaches to fatty liver disease. I would suggest that you consult with a nutritionist on various options available eg. Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet. I hope this helps, take care.