Low iron Dietray Suggestions

Patient

Q: What can you do if you have low iron?Waht can yopu eat if you haver low iron?How can you tell that you are having low iron?what sould you do immelidly if have those feelings?Should yoo like at that moment eat have a orange or something?

Doctor

A:   Iron deficiency anemia can be associated with low dietary intake of iron, inadequate absorption of iron, or excessive blood losstiredness; fatigue; irritability; difficulty concentrating; paleness; glossitis (an inflamed tongue) and unusual food cravings, known as pica.
There are two forms of dietary iron: heme and nonheme. Heme iron is found in animal foods that originally contained hemoglobin, such as red meats, fish, poultry, and any kind of liver. Iron in plant foods is called nonheme iron. This may be found in cooked beans and lentils, green leafy vegetables; spinach, broccoli; dried fruit, raisins, figs, prunes and apricots. This is the form of iron added to iron-enriched and iron-fortified foods. Heme iron is absorbed better than nonheme iron, but most dietary iron is nonheme iron. Meat proteins and vitamin C will improve the absorption of nonheme iron so include oranges, grapefruit, lemon, cantaloupe, pineapple, strawberries, raspberries along with iron-rich foods. Tannins (found in tea), caffeinated beverages, calcium, and phytates (found in legumes and whole grains) can decrease absorption of nonheme iron. Some proteins found in soybeans also inhibit nonheme iron absorption. Your family doctor can carry out some simple blood tests to measure your Haemoglobin levels and iron stores, and prescribe iron supplements if appropriate.