Low Level of amniotic fluid and aspirin in pregnancy

Patient

Q: A friend of mine in Albania is pregnant with second child, due in March. Doctor tells her she has low level of amniotic fluid. Directs her to take 100 mg aspirin every day. Is this good advice? What is your advice?

Doctor

A:   Low level of amniotic fluid or oligohydramnios may be caused by factor affecting both the mother and the child. Maternal factors include preeclampsia, chronic hypertension, collagen vascular disease, nephropathy and thrombophilia. Fetal factors include growth restriction, chromosomal and congenital abnormalities. Oligohydramnios is typically diagnosed by ultrasound examination.
It is difficult for me to comment on the cause of oligohydramnios and whether the treatment with aspirin is right or not. Aspirin is prescribed in a number of conditions in pregnancy related to abnormal production of prostaglandins including hypertension in pregnancy, antiphospholipid syndrome pre-eclampsia or intra-uterine growth retardation. I would advise that your friend speak to her doctor regarding the use of aspirin in her case.