Low levels of Vitamin B Six and Iron

Patient

Q: Hi, I've previously suffered with low vitamin B6 and Iron and have taken tablets and injection to raise these levels. I've recently changed docor's due to a house move and have been told that only Vitamin B12 gets checked with the full blood test and they do not test for B6 levels, is Vitamin B6 and B12 similar and will a problem show up if my Vitamin B6 is still low and only Vitamin B12 is tested for this has really confused me? Many Thanks for your help.

Doctor

A:   Vitamin B6 is pyridoxine  which is not typically checked up in a complete blood count test and is usually treated with pills of b complex. Vitamin b12 however can be checked for its levels through the blood and is treated with monthly injections. Thus I think the deficiency you may be having was B 12 instead of B6 . However I would advice you to get the levels checked once again. I hope this helps.