Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Low Libido and Chronic Pain

Low Libido and Chronic Pain

Patient: What is the best way to become interested in sexual relations again when suffering from chronic pain and chronic fatigue? I want to be close to my husband, but it is such an uncomfortable to painful experience for me. I do it for him (although not often) – I get nothing out of it except knowing he is satisfied.

Symptoms: Low to no libido; chronic pain, including pelvic pain that has been investigated by GYN with no answers; chronic fatigue

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We are sorry that you are going through this. Optimizing the treatment of your chronic pai n can be the best method of allowing you to gradually regain your libido. Although this may seem difficult, a close relationship with your pain specialist and monitoring what medications you are on is a recommended approach. Try to assess which pain medications work best for you, and which do not seem to help much. Explain this to your doctor, and with their guidance your treatment can be adjusted accordingly.Secondly, intimacy much more than the physical experience between two partners. We recommend that you discuss the difficulties you are having with your husband, letting him know the difficulty experiencing, and together you can both work together to find a solution.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com