Low Libido and Erectile Dysfunction in eighteen year old male.

Patient

Q: Hello, I'm an 18 year old male. I am an avid weight lifter, eat healthy, and have a normal BMI (5'9 175lbs). My libido began to significantly decrease about 9 months ago. Also stemming off of this, I have acquired a moderate erectile dysfunction. I used to be a very average horny 16-17 year old who masturbated around 4 times a week, and now if i don't think about it, I would probably not need to do it ever. No event sparked this it seems to just be random. This happens when I am alone and with girls. I have already tried the "just relax" method which has done nothing and also I've tried to just let it go for a little and when i do that, i seem to completely forget about it. Please help any way you can. I will be starting college august 20th. I scheduled a urologist appointment but I have to wait until the 15th so i dont think thats going to do me any good

Doctor

A:   It is understandable that you would be concerned about the symptoms you have described. Erectile dysfunction (ED) is associated with a wide range of diseases and conditions. However, it is rare for ED  to affect someone so young.  A detailed medical history and thorough physical examination is required to elucidate the cause of your decreased libido and erectile dysfunction. I am inclined to think that your symptoms are psychologically related rather a physical problem. This would be highly likely if you have spontaneous morning erections. Problems in a sexual relationship, performance anxiety or even stress at work or school may lead to some for of sexual dysfunction. Before seeing a urologist, I urge you to speak with your family physician about your symptoms. He/She will be able to obtain a comprehensive sexual and medical history and gain better insight into your issues. He/she will also be able to perform an examination and order the appropriate test to rule out physical problems which may cause ED such as medications/supplements,  penile conditions, nutritional deficiencies and hormone disorders.