Low libido and pain during sex

Patient: I am a 23 year old female and married. I have been with my husband for 7 years. I have always had a low libido. At first it was just we were young and didn’t know what we were doing, but now I feel as if something is wrong with me. All of my friends are always saying how much they love sex. Sex is usually not pleasurable for me and sometimes it just hurts. I thought maybe there was something wrong physically, but I haven’t seen a doctor about that. Then I’ve also thought maybe I have some type of mental block against intimacy. Maybe I’m not comfortable being sexual with someone, even though I do have sexual thoughts and masturbate on my own. I am currently not on any OC’s and have been off them for about 2 years. I plan on seeing my doctor sometime soon and getting back on the pill. I would feel embarrassed being this up to my doctor, but if I really need to I will. Thank you.

Doctor: Don’t be ashamed bringing this up to your doctor as it is why we are all here. To help you out. I would definitely speak to your husband about this as well so there maybe things he can help you out with. Having an open relationship is very important to help with your sex drive. Maybe talk to him about the things that turn you on, etc and try them out. As far as the pain goes, there are many lubricants on the market such as KY jelly that I would strongly recommend you try out. Hope this helps.