Low Oestradiol but still have periods?

Patient: Hello. I have recently had a hormone test checking my progesterone and oestradiol levels due to pms symptoms and possible endometriosis pain I was having. I did this during my monthly cycle using 12 saliva samples. During my cycle it came back the my progesterone was pretty normal but my oestradiol was low in comparison to the progesterone and sometimes in the red area. Can I have low oestradiol even though I have very regular periods with a cycle of 23-26 days? I see on my chart my oestradiol drops pretty low just before my period (about 1.6 pg/ml on one day) is this normal readings? that’s when I tend to get night sweats and crazy mood swings. I also suffer from a lot of anxiety and low mood/energy at different stages through the month.

Symptoms: pelvic pain, low mood, very stressed easy. Night sweats. heavy periods, fatigue

Doctor: Thanks for your query.Generally during the pre-menstrual phase i.e.a day one or two before the onset of the period the levels of estrogen are low. On day1 of the menses the hormonal levels of both estrogen and progesterone are low. It is due to this the uterine lining is shed and a women experiences bleeding. All the symptoms stated by you are mostly due to this lowered estrogen level. During the first half of the cycle the estrogen levels are high once ovulation takes place progesterone levels increase, there is a slight dip in the estrogen level followed by a raise in the estrogen levels. If there is no pregnancy the levels of both estrogen and progesterone fall leading to a menstrual cycle. The fall in these hormonal levels is an indication to the body that there is no pregnancy & the uterine lining can be shed to regrow again in the subsequent cycle.Hope that answers your query.Have a good day.