Low platelet count during pregnancy

Patient

Q: My wife is pregnant for 29 weeks. Recently, she undergo blood test from hospital and found that low platelet count of 68 and repeated the blood test after 4 days that shows platelets count of 70. Platelet count was normal (230) during 3 month pregnancy period. Is there any way to increase the platelet count naturally ? Is it affect for the delivery. Till now, She didn't face any other symptoms (viral fewer or infection). Expecting your valuable advice in this circumstance.

Doctor

A:   Most pregnant women have normal numbers of platelets but about eight per cent have a slight drop in their platelet count.  Drop in platelet levels below normal during pregnancy is known as gestationtnal thrombocytopenia which usually occurs in the third trimester. Why this occurs is not exactly known and is usually a benign self limiting state with no significant bleeding-risk to mother or baby. Although a strong suspicion must be kept in ruling out other serious causes such as immune thrombocytopenic purpura, an autoimmune disease with similar findings. Treatment for thrombocytopenia depends on the cause. Gestational thrombocytopenia requires no treatment outside of regular blood draws to check platelet levels. Treatment for ITP begins when platelet levels fall below 50,000 and include steroid administration to suppress the immune system.