Low Sperm Count

Patient

Q: I was married and living together for 7 months, now were trying for child. but for the past 5 months i was unsuccessful in making my wife pregnant. Yesterday i check my sperm mobility and culture. my sperm count was 2.5 millions, its much much low than the average. is it possible to increase my sperm count to average and will i be futile to make my wife pregnant. Doctor please advise.

Doctor

A:   A single semen analysis is never enough to diagnose male infertility or subfertility. The sperm counts are affected by a lot of transient events as well such as febrile illness, viral infections, high blood pressure, etc. I would suggest that you get a repeat semen analysis done preferably from a fertility clinic or reproductive medicine specialist.
In case the counts are low, it means you have oligospermia. There are various reversible and treatable conditions that lead to oligospermia such as varicocele or venous blood collection in the scrotum, viral illnesses etc. You could visit a urologist or andrologist and get yourself evaluated. In case of a varicocele on clinical examination, the doctor might advice you to undergo a surgery to correct the cause.
With a low sperm count, it does not mean that chances of conceiving naturally are nil, it only means that the chances are low and you might need some assisted reproduction method such as intrauterine insemination technique or IVF/ICSI (test-tube baby) treatment to conceive. I can understand that this may sound distressing and emotionally challenging to you but with the right treatment you will be able to complete your family.