Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Low testosterone levels: can it cause depression?

Low testosterone levels: can it cause depression?

Patient: Hi, I am a 44 year old healthy male, and I just had my testosterone level checked, and it was 1.69 nicograms. My Psychiatrist performed this test, and he suggested I see a GP. Before I do, I want to ask if this might be the cause of my depression. I also have low sex drive and low energy and difficulty concentrating. This is not out of the range, but its very low. Thanks!

Doctor: Low testosterone levels can lead to having a low sex drive as well as low libido and can contribute but not direclty cau se your depression. You need to see a family physician to exactly find out why the levels are low. All the best.