Low Thyroid at thirteen weeks pregnant

Patient

Q: I am 13 weeks, 4 days pregnant. I underwent the first blood tests for prenatal testing at 12 weeks, 2 days. I received a call from my doctor's secretary three days ago saying I have low thyroid and I need to go on medication straight away.

I was unable to get any other information except that my thyroid level was 7.31-- requests for more information have gone unanswered.

I have a two-year old daughter, my pregnancy with her was complication free and completely healthy, and I have never had thyroid issues before.
Of course, Google is full of scary information about how low thyroid, particularly untreated in the first trimester, can lead to mental retardation, developmental disabilities, etc.

I have taken the meds (Synthroid .075) for two days and am glad to do so (I know it is safe for the baby). What I am wondering is: with a level of 7.31 at 12 weeks pregnant, having been untreated For the entire first trimester, what are the chances that my baby has been harmed or will bee born with brain problems?

Doctor