Low vitamin K levels after gastric bypass surgery

Patient

Q: I need to know what foods or veggies are high in vitamin K I had the gastric bypass 8 yrs ago but I had the one that the body does not absorb the vitamins through food. I take 2 vitamin K's a day every day 100mcg but my K level is still to low can you help me please?

Doctor

A:    Most of the patients after gastric bypass surgery maintain food consumption between 600 and 900 kcal daily, and without supplementation this dietary restriction often leads to nutritional deficiencies. There are no firm guidelines for vitamin supplementation among surgeons who treat post gastric bypass patients. Vitamin K is found at its highest levels in green leafy vegetables and in some vegetable oils, including soybean, cottonseed, canola, and olive oils. Recommended dosages are 120 mcg/day in adult males, and 90 ?/day in adult females. Post gastric bypass patients, as your case, may require at least 300 mcg/day of supplemental vitamin K. And not only Vitamin K must be supplemented also Vitamins A, B1, B12, folate, C,D, E.