Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Low vitamin K levels after gastric bypass surgery

Low vitamin K levels after gastric bypass surgery

Patient: I need to know what foods or veggies are high in vitamin K I had the gastric bypass 8 yrs ago but I had the one that the body does not absorb the vitamins through food. I take 2 vitamin K’s a day every day 100mcg but my K level is still to low can you help me please?

Doctor: Most of the patients after gastric bypass surgery maintain food consumption between 600 and 900 kcal daily, and without t supplementation this dietary restriction often leads to nutritional deficiencies. There are no firm guidelines for vitamin supplementation among surgeons who treat post gastric bypass patients. Vitamin K is found at its highest levels in green leafy vegetables and in some vegetable oils, including soybean, cottonseed, canola, and olive oils. Recommended dosages are 120 mcg/day in adult males, and 90 ?/day in adult females. Post gastric bypass patients, as your case, may require at least 300 mcg/day of supplemental vitamin K. And not only Vitamin K must be supplemented also Vitamins A, B1, B12, folate, C,D, E.