Lower abdominal cramps

Q: I have been experiencing lower abdominal cramps for the past year or so a few minutes after a run of 7 minutes or more. The cramps only last for about 5 minutes and then goes away completely. It is really, really bad and I've asked everyone who would know something about this! I am very active and not unfit at all!

Symptoms:  Pain

A:   Thank you for your question. Lower abdominal cramping such as yours could possibly due to the build up of lactic acid in your abdominal muscles as you exercise. This build up occurs when muscles becomes fatigued, lactic acid is produced in the process of anaerobic respiration. This can result in cramping and pain. We recommend that you try exercise gradually and increase your time of running as tolerated. Try to focus on breathing to provide adequate oxygenation to your muscles as you exercise. This will also help in preventing cramping.

Thank you choosing askthedoctor.com