Lower abdominal pain and bleeding,

Q: Hi, i am currently on the contraceptive pill, i have a normal bleed but then a few days later ive been having more light bleeding, brown discharge and lower abdominal pain (more in my back). I had swabs taken and no infection was found. ive been suffering with this for just over 2 wks now and have no idea what the cause could be. please advise me on possible reasons for this. Thankyou.

A:   Your symptoms of prolonged bleeding could be due to menorrhagia. In most cases the cause is unknown but may also be due to hormonal imbalance, during which there is excessive shedding of the endometrium. Polyps, endometriosis, ovarian cysts and anovulation may cause similar symptoms.
You may require a more detailed work-up to determine the cause. A complete blood count, ultrasound of the pelvis and thyroid levels may be required to determine the cause. I wish you well, take care.