Lower back and hip pain: What are the treatment methods

Patient

Q: Ciatica nerve - what's the best way to alleve and diminish the effects of a stressed nerve causing increased pain when sitting?

Doctor

A:   Sciatica occurs when there is compression of the nerve either in the vertebral canal or between intervertebral discs. You have to maintain a good posture, avoid bending down from your back and use your knees instead, avoid lifting heavy material and take non steroidal anti inflamatory pain medications. There are also other medications like gabapentin which have shown to help reduce the inflamation and the impingement of the nerve. However if these methods do not help then the last option is to surgically remove a part of the intervertebral disc where the compression is occuring. All the best.