Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lower back and Leg pain

Lower back and Leg pain

Patient: I was working out doing deadlifts, during my set i felt a pain in my back, shortly afterwards the pain is still in my back but now the pain is shooting into my entire left leg ( butt, hamstring, and calve). is this something i should be worried about?

Symptoms: Shooting, sharp pains from my lower back all down my left leg

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have strained your lower back muscles, or gluteal muscles. Thes e muscle strains can place strain on the nerves innervating your lower back and lower legs. This would result in your pain, shooting down your legs. We first recommend that you refrain from heavy weight training as this can exacerbate the pain. Secondly, we are not certain as to the severity of your back injury. This can range from a muscle strain to a herniated intervertebral disc. The latter can lead to severe pain and disability if not promptly treated. We recommend that you go to your doctor to have your back examined and have an x ray performed of your lower back to determine to determine the severity of your injury. In the meantime, we recommend bed rest, and applying a ice pack to your lower back to assist in alleviating the pain. You can also take, oral analgesic medication such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen provided you are not allergic to any of these. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com