Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lower back, Hip and Leg Pain

Lower back, Hip and Leg Pain

Patient: There is pain in my lower back for over three weeks now for most of the time. It also at times is in my hips, gets worse when I sit or stand too long or do any extended amount of physical activity. It also radiates into my legs and sometimes is a dull ache and sometimes is shooting pains. There is also sometimes a tingly feeling in my legs.

Doctor: Suffereing from backpain restricts one’s movements and causes anxiety. There may be many factors that could be causing y our back pain. The most common cause of back pain is musculo-skeletal strain. You have mentioned that the pain radiates to your legs and you sometimes experience a tingling sensation in your legs. This could be caused by a nerve impingement syndrome or sciatica.Rest , good back support and medications like Ibuprofen (NSAIDS) will help. If you noticed that even after taking medications the symptoms are not improving, pain becomes more severe, you develop bowel incontinence or urinary retention, you must see your doctor urgently. I hope the information helps.