Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lower Back Pain & Getting Worse: Pregnancy or Kidney Problems or Both

Lower Back Pain & Getting Worse: Pregnancy or Kidney Problems or Both

Patient: I am a 25 year old female. For about the past 2-3 weeks, I have lost my appetite entirely. I weigh roughly about 120 lbs at 5’1 (I used to be able to finish my whole plate & go back for seconds). That is no longer the case. I barely eat now, and get full quickly. I should also mention I haven’t had my period in about two months and am lightly, but continuously bleeding for the last 4 days brown blood. I haven’t taken a test yet, I know I should have. But it’s been hard to get out of the house, with a headache for over 2 weeks on the left side of my head. I have been nauseous and have a fever with the chills throughout each day, accompanied by fatigue, yet I can only sleep during naps and find it almost impossible to fall asleep and stay asleep at night. For about the past 3 days I have gotten sudden back pain on my right side around the kidney. ( I did have kidney stones at the age of 16 for 2 years before any doctor found it and had to get lithotripsy (sp?) twice). The pain seems to be getting worse and is spreading throughout my lower back, it is still centralized on the right side. I cannot even bend at all without almost doubling over in pain. It’s starting to get bad to even sit. I don’t really remember how the pain felt, eventually the body forgets, so I hear. It almost feels like when I got a UTI because of the kidney stone.I don’t know if this is pregnancy gone bad or kidney problems or depression and my body is shutting down or a combo of all the above. I just figured I would ask someone in this field their opinion.

Symptoms: headache, missed period, kidney, kidney stones, right side of back pain, nauseous, fatigue, no appetite, depression, infection, frequent urination

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We recommend that you go to your nearest emergency department as soon as you can. It is pos sible that this could be a severe pelvic infection or even an ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancies occur when a fertilized egg implants in an area other than the uterus such as the Fallopian tubes. If an ectopic pregnancy ruptures, it can cause a life threatening pelvic bleed. Please seek medical attention immediately.