Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lower back pain and its treament.

Lower back pain and its treament.

Patient: For the past few months I’ve been suffering from lower back pain and pain down the exterior of my right leg. To give a more accurate description, if I am laying straight on my back and point my toes and lift my left leg in the air a sharp pain courses through my right leg and lower back. I’m considering a change in lifestyle (I was raised on Lays Ripples and my favorite position is horizontal). I hear Yoga is pretty helpful for back pain but I need a professional opinion. So it would be much appreciated if someone were to tell me what exactly is wrong with my back and what is the best way to treat it. I’d also like to know what the chances are of my recovering from this and enjoying the rest of my apathetic teen years.

Doctor: It seems that you are having typical symptoms of lower back pain due to lumbar disc herniation in which one of the inter vertrebral discs ie the discs between the vertebraes is protryding out and leading to some nerve compression which then leads to pain down the leg. I would however highly suggest to you to get an Ct or a mri done of your spine. The treatment of this condition is multi faceted. You will have to take pain killers for the condition however vigourous physiotherapy will help strengthen you muscles in that area and thus will help . I would advice not to do yoga on your own. Please consult a specialist. All the best.