Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lower back pain and Restrictions

Lower back pain and Restrictions

Patient: Hey i’m 18 years old (male) and i got punched in the lower back on the weekend while i was sleeping on a couch. my back was sticking out a bit as i was curled up in a ball. its been 4 days since the incident now and i’m still bed bound. i’v been on anti-inflammatories and pain killers since the event. i get a sharp pain down my itb,lower back and buttock region when i move sometimes. the pain is progressively getting a little better each day. do you know how long it will take until the pain goes away and until i can get back to doing everyday activities? i didnt pee out any blood so my kidneys arent damaged. is it just nerve damage?

Doctor: Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US p opulation, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Some times it may complicate with a sciatic nerve inflammation this seems to be your case.The suggested strategy would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: control the pain and the inflammatory process, relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. The main goal of physical therapy in persons with post-traumatic acute back pain is not to increase strength but to achieve adequate pain control. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) remains one of the best first-line treatments of acute LBP. It is generally well tolerated, has few adverse effects or drug reactions with other medications, and is inexpensive.