Lower back pain episodes for three weeks

Q: Hi, I have been having lower back pain for the last 2-3 weeks. unable to bend and sit for long. I tried taking medication like dicloran for a few days and then stopped. the pain resumed once i stopped the medication.occasionally the pain moves to my knee and legs. Pls advise?

A:    In the view that you do not dascribe past episodes of low back pain, possibly the pain may be due to a muscle strain. Usually this occurs the back muscles have been stretched beyond normal limits, commonly known as a muscle pull. If you have a lumbar sprain, your ligaments have been pulled apart resulting in spasms in the lower part of your back. Regardless of which type of strain you have, the course of treatment for both is the same. You will experience inflammation, spasms, lack of mobility all these  insure limited movement. To go to a chiropractor is one of the treatment options for an uncomplicated muscle strain in the back, meaning when there is no nerve damage or compression, muscle rupture documented by MRI.They may teach you  useful exercises to stretch the muscles in the spine, that you can repeat at home as a routine and after, apply ice to the sore area for no more than 20 minutes each time; you could also alternate warm moist compresses with ice packs. If after follow all of the above you still experience the pain associated to some other symptoms, then I would recommend to visit an Orthopedic doctor to rule out some other more serious causes of the back pain.