Lower Back Pain has Suddenly Worsened

Patient

Q: I have been experiencing low back pain for 4 months now but it has recently got much worse. The pain is now radiating down my thighs to my knees and across my shoulders.When I wake up in a morning i feel so stiff i can hardly move. I have also been a bit run down lately and have had colds and ear infections on and off for about 2 months. Could the two be related and what could it be?

Doctor

A:   The back pain is least likely to be related to the nose and ear infections. Your back pain seems to be arising from the nerve compression by the vertebral disc, which may be due to herniation of the disc or something else putting pressure on the spinal nerve. You may want to consult a neurologist for consultation, however the only beneficial medical treatment seems to be rest for about 6 to 8 weeks and if it doesn’t get better you may need an MRI or a CT imaging for accurate diagnosis of the condition and if applicable surgical treatment may be an option available in your case.
The shoulder pain seems to be unrelated to the back pain, though it may be due to your sleeping position which could be stressing out your neck muscles. You may use an OTC analgesics for the pain along with hot compresses as well as getting rest to relieve the symptoms. The cold and ear infections may be due to some kind of allergy or other infection that was not fully cured previously. You may want to see your GP for examination of the nose, ear and throat to investigate the reason for the recurring infections, possible causes may be nasal septum deviation, polyp, sinus infection, middle ear infection, throat infection or tonsillitis etc.

The back pain is least likely to be related to the nose and ear infections. Your back pain seems to be arising from the nerve compression by the vertebral disc, which may be due to herniation of the disc or something else putting pressure on the spinal nerve. You may want to consult a neurologist for consultation, however the only beneficial medical treatment seems to be rest for about 6 to 8 weeks and if it doesn’t get better you may need an MRI or a CT imaging for accurate diagnosis of the condition and if applicable surgical treatment may be an option available in your case.