Ask The Doctor > Pending > Lower back pain in athlete, think its a pulled muscle

Lower back pain in athlete, think its a pulled muscle

Patient: About 2 and a half years ago, I was warming up to play softball and my lower back started to hurt. The pain was at about a 9 out of 10 the first day after and decreased day by day for about a week. I had no problems again until this past summer, I was running at the track, and I felt like I had pulled something, same symptoms as the last time, which includes spasms, pain basically all the time doing anything except laying on back with knees up, and the pain decreases day by day like I said before. It just happened again and it is getting better but I’d just like to know maybe what I can do to help the healing process and to prevent this from happening again. Thanks!

Symptoms: Lower back pain, spasms

Doctor: