Lower back pain on my left rib cage

Patient

Q: I am a 21 yr old athelete and play college basketball. I have been having pain in my back on what feels like the last rib on my left rib cage, for about 3 weeks now. The pain is bearable but hurts alot when i press against it, i can feel some pain aswell when i try to lean my upper body right. When i exercise i can feel it there, but the pain is minimum. ... What is it? and what would be the best treatment?

Doctor

A:   It seems to be the inflammation of the rib bone or the cartilage. You need to take anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen, to reduce the inflammation and the pain. If the pain does not improve after taking the medication for a few days you should see your doctor for an Xray and further investigation of the cause.