Lower back pain. Syndol

Q: I have lower back pain and taking paracetamol and also ibuprofen gel, i am taking omeprazole and friends have said that syndol is a great pain relief but wondered if i can take syndol whilst taking omeprazole?

A:   Yes , you can take both, Omeprazol is a blocker of acid gastric secretion  and Syndol is basically a pain killer, prescription, drug, and  contains four active ingredients, paracetamol, codeine phosphate, doxylamine succinate and caffeine. Paracetamol is a simple painkilling medicine used to relieve mild to moderate pain and fever. Despite its widespread use for over 100 years, we still don't fully understand how paracetamol works to relieve pain and reduce fever. However, it is now thought that it works by reducing the production of prostaglandins in the brain and spinal cord. The body produces prostaglandins in response to injury and certain diseases. One of the effects of prostaglandins is to sensitise nerve endings, causing pain (presumably to prevent us from causing further harm to the area). As paracetamol reduces the production of these nerve sensitizing prostaglandins it is thought it may increase our pain threshold, so that although the cause of the pain remains, we don't feel it as much. Paracetamol is about as effective as aspirin at relieving mild to moderate pain and fever, but unlike aspirin it has no anti-inflammatory effect. Codeine phosphate is a slightly stronger painkiller known as an opioid. Opioid painkillers work by mimicking the action of naturally occurring pain-reducing chemicals called endorphins. Endorphins are found in the brain and spinal cord and reduce pain by combining with opioid receptors. Codeine mimicks the action of natural endorphins by combining with the opioid receptors in the brain and spinal cord. This blocks the transmission of pain signals sent by the nerves to the brain. Therefore, even though the cause of the pain may remain, less pain is actually felt. Caffeine is a weak stimulant. It is claimed that caffeine may enhance the painkilling effects of paracetamol and codeine.Doxylamine is a type of medicine called a sedating antihistamine. It is included in this medicine not so much for its antihistamine effect, as for its sedative effect. Doxylamine is known as a sedating antihistamine because it enters the brain, where it causes drowsiness. This feature is useful for aiding restful sleep.