Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lower back pain whats going on?

Lower back pain whats going on?

Patient: I am having pain in the lower left side of my back. It radiateds from my side through my back then in to my hip.It is a sevear pain that comes and goes but is offten. I also am nausous. What is going on?

Doctor: The lower back pain may have many causes, from maintained bad postures,kidney problems, spine sprains, direct trauma to to Disc hernia. Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Sometimes it may complicate with a sciatic nerve inflammation. On the other hand, a herniated disc may produce a root nerve compression at a given level of the spine that causes an inflammation of the nerves and radiated pain to the arms or legs depending on the level of compression. If this compression progresses, meaning, gets worse over the time, it can produce irreversible damage of the nerve root, then the discectomy is performed to decompress the nerve root involved so the neurological symptoms (numbness, tingling and pain local and radiated to the legs) improve and also avoid further damage to the nerve. The first treatment for a herniated disk is a short period of rest with pain and anti-inflammatory medications, followed by physical therapy. Most people who follow these treatments will recover and return to their normal activities. A small number of people need to have further treatment, which may include steroid injections or surgery. Changes in your lifestyle are a must, like diet and exercise are crucial to improving back pain by controlling weight .Physical therapy is important for nearly everyone with disk disease. Therapists will tell you how to properly lift, dress, walk, and perform other activities. They will work on strengthening the muscles that help support the spine. You will also learn flexibility of the spine and legs. Steroid injections into the back in the area of the herniated disk may help control pain for several months. Such injections reduce swelling around the disk and relieve many symptoms. Spinal injections are usually done on an outpatient basis.