Lower back pain while exercising and afterwards.

Q: Last week I slipped over in soccer flat on my back and I have noticed the past few days that I have lower back pain if I exercise. This is a problem as I have my duke of ed hike next week. What can I do to stop this back pain. I am a 14 yr old girl

A:   Thanks for consulting us. There could be sprain of the lumbar muscle that is causing the problem. Usually it should subside in couple of days and with pain relieving local applications (gels, sprays). If the pain still persisting, we have to check for probable disc injury. Consult orthopedician, simple investigation like X-ray and CT can give us good amount of clues. Try to avoid physical exertion for few days and avoid lifting heavy weights. Wish you a speedy recovery.