September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lower Knee Pain getting worse now

Lower Knee Pain getting worse now

Patient: I am a 21 yr old athelete and play college basketball. I have been getting sharpe pain in my lower right knee located below my knee cap and what seems to be the start of my shin bone, what i think could be the tibia. This pain is getting worse and worse, it has its good days and bad, and sometimes i do not notice it until i start to run around. What is this pain? and what would be the best treatment for it?

Doctor: Your knee pain seems to be due to the overuse injury that results from repetitive overloading and injury of the patellar tendon, a condition called Jumper’s knee, that occurs in many types of athletes but is most common in sports such as basketball, volleyball, or soccer, which require explosive jumping movements. Resting the injured area until the symptoms have subsided is very important. Ice application on the knee, wearing a knee support or strap, elevating the knee when it hurts (for example, placing a pillow under the leg), anti-inflammatory medications, like ibuprofen, can help minimize pain and inflammation. The most important factor in preventing jumper’s knee is stretching. A good warm-up that involves stretching the quadriceps, hamstring, and calf muscles can help prevent jumper’s knee.