Lower right BackPain

Patient

Q: In 2009 i had two bulging disc's in my lower back L4 and L5 i believe. i have mild pain (5-6/10) every day.
today when i woke up i felt normal sore but can still move around and do normal functions when i got to work i noticed when i bent to the right side there was a sharp pain like some stabbing me in my lower right back and my pain level moved up to about 8/10 since then. when i got home today i looked in the mirror with my shirt off and my right love handle was swollen.

Symptoms:  Lower back pain
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”
It is obvious by your history that you got lumbar spondylosis with disc prolapsed.
It is uncommon to have spondylotic or nerve compression pain above the level of L4 and L5.
It might be a separate entity developed in your right lower abdomen that is causing pain and swelling. It could be direct abdominal hernia.
It could be a pull on inguinal canal round ligament.
Please consult your doctor. He or she may investigate you and discuss further treatment plan with you.
Wish you a good health.