Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lower right BackPain

Lower right BackPain

Patient: In 2009 i had two bulging disc’s in my lower back L4 and L5 i believe. i have mild pain (5-6/10) every day.today when i woke up i felt normal sore but can still move around and do normal functions when i got to work i noticed when i bent to the right side there was a sharp pain like some stabbing me in my lower right back and my pain level moved up to about 8/10 since then. when i got home today i looked in the mirror with my shirt off and my right love handle was swollen.

Symptoms: Lower back pain

Doctor: HelloThank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”It is obvious by your history that you got lumbar spondylosis w is with disc prolapsed.It is uncommon to have spondylotic or nerve compression pain above the level of L4 and L5.It might be a separate entity developed in your right lower abdomen that is causing pain and swelling. It could be direct abdominal hernia.It could be a pull on inguinal canal round ligament.Please consult your doctor. He or she may investigate you and discuss further treatment plan with you.Wish you a good health.