x
Browse
176 Physicians Online

Question:

Lumbar Surgery Potential Risk

What are the risks of lower back surgery and removal of a disc. and is there any damage to muscles etc. when surgery is done

Answer:

As with any surgical procedure, there are risks involved in removal of a disc from the lower back (Lumbar Discectomy). The potential complications vary somewhat depending on the surgical technique employed to remove the disc. The following are some of the common complications:

Intraoperative bleeding
Infections
Leg pain and numbness
Persistent symptoms

Though these complications are possible, they do not occur in every patient. In fact, the complication rate for lumbar discectomy is only 2-4%. Significant damage to muscles does not occur in this procedure.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA