193 Physicians Online

Lumbar Surgery Potential Risk

What are the risks of lower back surgery and removal of a disc. and is there any damage to muscles etc. when surgery is done

As with any surgical procedure, there are risks involved in removal of a disc from the lower back (Lumbar Discectomy). The potential complications vary somewhat depending on the surgical technique employed to remove the disc. The following are some of the common complications:

Intraoperative bleeding
Leg pain and numbness
Persistent symptoms

Though these complications are possible, they do not occur in every patient. In fact, the complication rate for lumbar discectomy is only 2-4%. Significant damage to muscles does not occur in this procedure.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA