Lumbar Surgery Potential Risk

Patient : What are the risks of lower back surgery and removal of a disc. and is there any damage to muscles etc. when surgery is done
Doctor :   As with any surgical procedure, there are risks involved in removal of a disc from the lower back (Lumbar Discectomy). T he potential complications vary somewhat depending on the surgical technique employed to remove the disc. The following are some of the common complications: Intraoperative bleeding Infections Leg pain and numbness Persistent symptoms Though these complications are possible, they do not occur in every patient. In fact, the complication rate for lumbar discectomy is only 2-4%. Significant damage to muscles does not occur in this procedure.