Lump behind right eas on mastoid

Patient

Q: Last year I noticed behind my right ear is a large lump..It feels like bone and I have no pain..Went for ct scan and it didn't show anything wrong..Could it just be my skull?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that this hard protuberance behind the ear is the mastoid process. The mastoid process is a cone shaped protrusion of bone on the mastoid bone behind the ear. It can be more prominent in some patients in comparison to others. If you are not in any pain in the area of the mastoid process, this is something that you should not be concerned with.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com