Lump in groin area for over a year, constantly changing.

Patient

Q: I discovered a lump in my groin area about a year and a half ago. It constantly changes size, growing to about the size of a quarter, to the size of a pea. It also changes textures. At times it feels hard and firm, but sometimes it feels soft and squishy. The lump is currently about the size of a penny and feels firm in one area, but squishy like an under skin blister in another area. Up until about a week ago it wasn't visible, but you could feel it under the skin. It has recently, however, formed a pimple-like sore over it. It is slightly tender to the touch and has a tendency to itch quite a bit.
The sore leaks puss and I have extracted as much as possible, but it continues to build up once again, hours to a day later. Now there is what appears to be a bit of flesh poking out of the sore. I have my suspicions that whatever this lump is, it is now trying to extract itself via the small opening of the sore.
About a month ago I went to my doctor and she said it was probably a lipoma and referred me to a dermatologist for a second opinion. This was before the sore formed. I have yet to make an appointment with the dermatologist due to conflicting matters with my schedule.
I know for certain that it isn't any form of an STD. When this lump first presented itself I was a virgin and I have only had a single sexual partner and he's clean. My doctor also confirmed that it was not STD related.
Also, I am not sure if this could be related, but my period has skipped two months. I am also 100% certain that I am not pregnant, because I have been tested MULTIPLE times over the past two months.
My question is, could my doctor be wrong about it being a lipoma, and should I be concerned?

Symptoms:  Inconsistent lump, late period, sore, leakage from said sore
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that this lump could indeed be a lipoma, however you indicated that there was a sore area on the surface of this lump, resembling a pimple. This leads us to believe that this swelling could be a sebaceous cyst. These occur when a sebaceous gland becomes clogged and inflamed, resulting in the build up a material comprised of keratin within the cyst. Given the fact that this swelling was ruled out being an STD by your doctor it would be best to have this looked at by a dermatologist. Lipoma's are benign (non-cancerous) tumors of comprised of fat, that can be located at any region of the body.

The treatment for a lipoma or sebaceous cyst is relatively the same. It will can be surgically removed within the office, using a small amount of local anesthesia to reduce the pain of removal. Once removed, you will be placed on a course of antibiotics to treat or prevent any infections, and this will resolve without complication. Please follow up with your dermatologist as intended.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com with your medical query.