x
199 Physicians Online

Question:

Lump in Throat Post Tonsillectomy?

Hi there, I had one tonsil bigger than the other about 4 months ago, my ENT decided to take out my tonsils. He did this, and told me if it looked suspicious he would send one for a sample. After the surgery he said they both just looked infected and were the same size. So he saw no need to send a biopsy. I am now 3 weeks post op, and I have this feeling of a lump in my throat, and also the left side of my tongue is tingling sometimes...is this something normal for someone post op of tonsillectomy? I am worried that because he did not send a biopsy, I may have something far more nasty that is getting worse because of my symptoms..... is there anything you can tell me to ease my mind? my voice is a little croaky and it only seems to be when i talk alot or eat or drink alot that my voice is croaky and i really feel like i have a lump somewhere...is this normal for someone post op tonsillectomy? or should i have cause to be worried? also i am 24, smoked for 1 year quit 5 months ago now, and drink often. thank you

Answer:

While I understand your concern I do not think your symptoms represent a complication of your tonsillectomy. I really think they are just 'after effects ' and will dissipate shortly. You should not worry. In the unlikely event that these symptoms persist then I suggest that you visit with your ENT surgeon and explain your issues.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA