Lump on arm after blood donation

Q: I gave blood earlier today and I have a golf ball sized knot where they inserted the needle. It hurts to touch or bend my arm. I have had ice on it since I got home and it still hasn't gone down. I was wondering If I should see a doctor?

Symptoms:  bruising of my arm

A:   Thank you for your question. The size of this swelling does concern us, and we recommend that you see see a doctor to determine the cause of it. A rather large 16 gauge needle is used during blood donation, and the swelling you are experiencing could be due to excess blood draining from your venipuncture site under your skin. This is very common and usually resolves without complication, however the size of yours is concerning. We recommend that you have your doctor examine this to determine if the bleeding has stopped, or if any further intervention is required to stop the swelling.

Thank you for choosing