Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lump on Chest under Collarbone.

Lump on Chest under Collarbone.

Patient: I am a 18yr old female and after recently losing quite a bit of weight I noticed I had a lump on my chest. It’s not on my breasts it’s maybe an inch or two under my right collarbone. It’s approximately two inches by an inch in size, you can’t see it but I can definitely feel there’s something there. It doesn’t hurt, but sometimes if i press it there is a slight burning. I’m just wondering what it could be?

Doctor: The lump that you are experiencing could be due to a swollen lymph node. Most often swollen lymph nodes can be directly related to an active or recent infection, be it bacterial or viral. Even seasonal allergies can cause flare-ups in some individuals. However, your history of weight loss requires that this swelling be further examined by your doctor. It is true that there are cases in which swollen lymph nodes can indicate the need to rule out cancer. I would definitely recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor. Your primary care doctor will be able to examine the area and help determine whether or not this swelling requires a biopsy.