x
150 Physicians Online

Question:

Lump on jaw - do I need to see a doctor

I have a small lump (about the size of a pea) that is above my jawline. It is hard but I can roll it around on top of the bone so it doesn't appear to be well-attached. It doesn't cause any pain or problems with eating or talking and the only way I can feel it is with my finger from the outside. My doctor told me a while ago it was 'probably' just a cyst or fatty lump of tissue but I'm currently abroad and can't easily get to an English-speaking doctor. My main reaosn for concern is it has recently increased in size. Should I visit a dentist or doctor? Or is it nothing to worry about?

Answer:

It certainly seem that you have either a lipoma or a sebaceous cyst. Sebaceous cysts can become inflamed or infected causing an increase in size and tenderness. Both these conditions do not require any treatment.  If you feel that the cyst or lipoma is growing in size, you may ask your doctor to surgically remove the lump.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.