Lump on lower leg after trauma

Patient : Blunt trauma to lower left leg midway between knee and ankle and next to bone on exterior of leg on 10 Sep. Immediate pain, bruising, some swelling. Occurred in the morning and I had a meeting right after followed by a 5 hour drive home, so no care directly following injury. Saw my physician 5 days later and had an x-ray which was normal. Doctor expressed no concern and gave no particular instruction for follow up or what to expect. Now, more than 3 weeks later still have large (top of tennis ball), hard, visible lump with discoloration over it and slight swelling around and below injury area. Constant aching has replaced the pain which lasted more than 2 weeks and it is tender to touch (can't cross it over the other leg or lay on it). I work on a construction site out-of-state, and I am usually only home on weekends, making it more difficult to make routine appointments (I had to re-schedule one for next week). I do have one scheduled for 9 days from now. My question is: should I be seen sooner, or is there reason for immediate concern? (Photo 1 5-6 days after injury; photo 2 current.)
Symptoms:  Lump, slight swelling, achy, tender to touch (can't cross over other leg or sleep with it against mattress), discoloration.
Lump on lower leg after trauma-1 Lump on lower leg after trauma-2