Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lump outside vagina

Lump outside vagina

Patient: I have a lump outside of my vagina near my left leg right in my pubic hair.. its under the skin. i noticed its getting bigger than i first discovered it a week ago. now when i touch it i can feel its about the size of a cherry. color of the skin is getting purple.what this could be? i would appreciate your advice. thanks.

Doctor: This is most probably due to a folliculitis. Folliculitis is the inflammation of the hair folliciles due to tight clothi ng, shaving or when the pores get blocked. There may also be an underlying infection associated with the folliculitis. Most of the time warm compresses and oral or topical antibiotics (mupirocin) help to resolve the folliculitis. I would advice you not to put any other material on the boil (other than mupirocin) as it may only worsen the condition. Sometimes an abscess may develop and the only treatment then is to surgically drain the abscess.