Lung development in twenty-four week old foetus and effects of quitting cigarettes.

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor. I am 24 weeks pregnant now and have seen that this week a lot of lung development will take place in my unborn child. I am a smoker who has been struggling to quit (but have cut down) and I would like to know: If I quit cold turkey this week will it be good for my baby as I know it will put extra stress on us, but if I smoke, how much harm will be done to the fetus (esp lungs and lung development) if any? Would you recommend stopping or continuing as to not put my baby in distress? My biggest concern at this stage is that baby's lungs will collapse during labour. Thank You.

Doctor