Lung Problem Not being detected by X-Ray

Patient

Q: I am 17 years old and I have asthma its always been exercise induced or acted up when i was really sick. I got really sick back in the middle of September and since then been having a lot of chest pain and difficulty breathing was sent to a lung specialist in Albany Medical Center. They said I am not wheezing but I am not pushing much air through my lungs. They released me and sent me home the only thing that seemed to help the pain go away was when they had me on oxygen. My oxygen levels are fine they said. My inhaler doesn't help neither does my nebulizer and I am always in a lot of pain and its progressively getting worse. Its making me feel weak and drained all the time. They keep putting me on prednisone but it doesn't help and i told them that. I don't know what else I can do or what it might be. I am now failing school because I do not have the strength to make it through a full day and I was a straight A student. They also said chest X-ray came back normal. What may it be and what can I do ? I am waking up with shortness of breath in the middle of night and difficulty breathing.

Symptoms:  Shortness of Breath, Chest Pain, Feeling weak and drained
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
Bronchial Asthma is not always diagnosed on chest Xray. In fact most of the times it comes out to be normal.
You should go for Pulmonary Function Test and Absolute Eosinophil Count.
Treatment of Asthma is based on GINA guidelines and is given according to severity, frequency and nocturnal symptoms.
Treatment is usually composed of anti allergic medicines , Bronchodilators , Steroid inhalers.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.