Lymph node behind ear for two years swelling hasn't gone down, is there anything else it could be?

Patient

Q: Hi, I have had a swollen lymph node behind my right ear for the past two years. I did have an ultrasound done but they said it was a swollen lymph node and it should go down in a couple days but it has been 4 months and there has been no change. So I was curious to see if there was any way that it could be something else?

Doctor

A:   The swelling behind your ear is unlikely to be anything else other than a swollen lymph node. If the condition such as sinusitis, allergies or such,  which cause to lymph node to become swollen has not completely resolved this could result in the lymph node being persistently swollen. If there are no other swollen lymph nodes then there is really no need to be concerned. However, if you notice swollen lymph nodes in other locations you should get check out by your doctor.