Lymphoma?

Patient

Q: I have an odd shaped lump in my neck, I'm not sure how to describe it. It wraps half way up behind my ear then down just under my jaw bone. I would say that it has grown very slow over the past 4 or 5 years. I haven't had any pain from it until recently,I would describe it as an ache.My neck also hurts from this lump sometimes as if my movement is restricted to the right, as if it's deeper in there than i can tell. It does not move at all and hurts if I try to move it. When my brother was about 4 he had benign lumps removed from his neck. Lymphoma i think? He is 20 now and I am 23. Could I possibly have that this late on? I did ask a doctor about it and he said "oh.. that's just a swollen lymph node and it will go away" I tried to explain that I have had it for years but he turned away the thought of further investigating.

Doctor

A:   I comprehend how worried you are about your neck lump. Since you noticed this from years, the possibility of lymphoma would decrease if you have not presented other common symptoms such as fatigue, fever, chills, night sweats but most importantly you would have swollen lymph nodes in your neck, armpits or groin.
Swollen glands on either side of the neck, under the jaw, or behind the ears commonly swell after a cold or sore throat. Glands can also swell following an injury, such as a cut or bite, near the gland or when a tumor or infection occurs in the mouth, head, or neck. Treatment for swollen glands focuses on treating the underlying cause. For example, a bacterial infection may be treated with antibiotics, while a viral infection often goes away on its own. If cancer is suspected, a biopsy may be done to confirm the diagnosis. I would suggest you to have your physician study your swollen node with more detail and possibly a biopsy which would rule out the exact cause once and for all. I wish you the best.